Saturday, March 3, 2012

I speak for the trees.


I took my boys to the Lorax today. I remember reading the book when I was little...but I never realized how political it was.

I never realized how political all or well most of Dr. Seuss was. At first it bugged me...I don't really want all that pushed into my kids heads subliminally..as in hidden messages. That was my biggest thing with the Princess and the Frog. 

But I thought about it again...this movie is showing kids how important our planet is and our trees. It may be in a different form, a fantasy form because trees aren't purple and pink and orange..but thats not what it is about its about the fact that even tho in Thneedsville(not sure if thats the spelling) trees are very important in life, our lives too. 

Jaden really picked up on it. He already knows about our earth and the water and the plants. He is really getting into these kinds of things. And I asked him about the movie and what he liked, and his answer was he liked the Lorax, and added that he liked the mustache and daddy needs one ;) But the fact that he picked up that the Lorax was important and the Lorax was the one saying we need to save the trees. I have a smart boy. Then they went on to tell me that the big green man with the big hat cut all the trees down and made all the animals sad and mad. 

The other political side to that show was how we are using the resources and ignoring the reality. We as humans(not just americans) have a lot of harsh realities. Like the fact that our country is going down the pipes, and we are ruining our home, abusing our animals and being ignorant about where our resources come from.

Its all about money..EVERYTHING. Prices of all of our daily needs are going sky high. At the rate gas prices are going up no one will be driving this summer, which in a crazy way is a good thing(we will be riding bikes and not polluting the air) And food....Oh food. Food is so ridiculous....I dont want to feed my kids junk...but holy shinanigins, produce and healthy foods are insanely priced especially for the amount you get. Maybe its because of where we live. We live in a really metro area. I drove down town(just passing through) and saw gas was $4.15!!! HOLYYY BANANAS! 

Anyways back to the main way this was going. Watching that movie got me really thinking(obviously) they make these movies(kid movies) political for a reason. For us as parents to think about whats going on around us and what we are raising our kids in, and for the next generation. It is the next generation that will be taking care of this planet and the government. Scary thought....We need to get a grip and make HUGE changes...who know if that will happen but just like Dr. Seuss said...

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
nothing will get better. Its not."

Dr. Seuss may have rhymed a lot and seemed like he spoke jibberish
but if you really read what he was saying.
A lot of it makes sense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free :)

Let me know what you think!